Monday, April 11, 2011

Her Majesty

I was looking through my blog archives last evening and noticed a post a wrote nearly two and a half years ago when Her Majesty (aka Ranee) was extremely ill and we weren't sure she was going to make it. My husband and I spent weeks giving her daily injections of fluids and various medications until she recovered. Looking back, I can't quite believe she's still with us and living such a happy and active life. Sure, I have to cook her food from scratch and give her meds every day, but it's a small price to pay for all she's given us over the years.

She's taught me a few things too.

For instance, that you should never assume you know how life's going to unfold. Eight months ago, she was so stiff she couldn't jump on to the couch without help. Now, after six months of TLC and daily doses of omega 3s, she jumps up with almost as much grace as she always did - though, admittedly, she's still fairly cautious about jumping back down.

She also taught me that really loving someone means loving them at their worst. Ranee loves me most when I've just arrived home from a long run on a hot summer's day - so sweaty and smelly I can't stand myself - and seldom leaves my side on those rare occasions when I find myself sick in bed with a cold or flu.


Most importantly, she's taught me the importance of savouring the moment (as she did this past weekend when she lay enjoying the warmth of spring sunshine on our back deck). Not all of life's surprises are good ones, so it's essential to be as grateful as you can be for what you have. After all, you never know when the things you care about most will be taken from you.

"L'il pud" is at least 16 years old now, so I'm not sure how much longer she'll be with us - though, judging by how she well she seems to be doing, I hope it will be a good while yet. Waking to find her warm little self snuggled against my back is one of the great joys of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment