Monday, April 21, 2014

I got 'er done...and then I went for a ride.

Easter flowers from our nieces
A quick update so I don't leave anyone in suspense too long. I did in fact manage to complete my planned 20k run yesterday - though I can't say it felt great. It was a perfect running day - sunny and cool - but my body just didn't feel ready tackle this...


...at least, not without being grumpy. Who can blame it? Ascents totaling nearly 600 metres would make most bodies tired, and then there was wine we had at Janet's on Saturday evening (not complaining, just saying...) In any case, I've planned two more trips up the same road before I start tapering for Cabot Trail Relay. Here's hoping all those hills pay off so CTR feels like a walk in the park. :-)

The rest of yesterday was spent mostly resting. Husband made a yummy supper on his new barbeque and we settled in for a quiet evening reading (him) and playing scrabble (me) by the fire, before going to bed early. Today was more of the same. I spent time writing a couple of emails this morning, listened to coverage of the Boston Marathon (was that exciting or what?), then got my butt out the door for my first real motorcycle ride of the season.  

Even with wind gear on over my leather jacket, it was cold on the bike so I was freezing by the time I got back. However, driving along this beautiful shoreline was totally worth it. 


And I was thrilled to discover that I actually felt more confident about riding today than I did last fall, which bodes well for the season ahead. 

When I got home, I whipped up a batch of guacamole and Husband and I sat on the back deck in the sunshine reading and snacking a bit, before I wandered inside for a long nap before making dinner. 

Sitting by the fire tonight, I'm thinking of two of my siblings who are hanging out in earthquake zones at the moment. My middle sister and her husband are in Ixtapa, Mexico celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary, and reported via Facebook this morning that they were awakened by a quake! We haven't heard anything more so are hoping no news is good news. Meanwhile, my baby brother and his family are finishing a four month stint in New Zealand. They've been pretty sanguine about the risk of quakes down under but I'll be glad to have them safely home in a few weeks.

I'm also thinking about my TNT buddy, Brent, who ran Boston with a friend today. I can't begin to imagine what it was like for him. He was there last year, cheering near the finish line when the bombs went off, and he's worked tirelessly since raising funds for victims of the blast. In recognition of his efforts, the BAA offered him a spot in this year's race. From what I've heard so far, it sounds as if he and his friend had a great run. I'm so happy for him. He's a wonderful human being who's made it his life's mission to help and support other people. He deserved to be in Boston today honouring and celebrating the triumph of the human spirit over hatred and fear. 

That's it for now, folks. It looks like another busy week ahead but I'm hoping this long restful weekend has left me ready to deal with it. Hope your week goes well too! 

Happy running and writing, friends!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you got "Patti" (right?) out for a ride - but that wind was bitter, no wonder you were cold when you got back!! And it sounds like you had a lovely weekend - including that evening at Janet's *wink*!! Life is too short not to enjoy the wine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Patti and I both found it a bit cool but it was still great to get a little practice. Hoping to do a lot more riding this summer. And I agree that life is too short to go without wine for long. Thanks again for dinner! X

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to see that beach this fall! Beautiful shot. And you can't really expect a 20 K run to be great every time. As long as it didn't hurt, it counts as a win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. Yes, you'll enjoy the Crescent very much. It's just a stone's throw from my favourite place, Risser's Beach as well You're right that not every run feels good but I sure hope the hills start feeling easier soon!

      Delete